Spouse Visa

immigration lawyer spouse massachusettes

Massachusetts and Connecticut Immigration Lawyer

At The Harrington Law Firm we help clients from Connecticut, Massachusetts and across the United States deal with family immigration cases involving petitioning for Spouse Visa.

Spouses and family members of U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) may obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States if they are sponsored by their family member. These cases are often described as family-based petitions. A petitioner, U.S. citizen spouse can apply for their spouse either in the United States or in the foreign country where the spouse resides. If the spouse in living in the United States and had a legal entry into the U.S. then the U.S. citizen could apply for the spouse in the United States. This Spouse petitioner would file Form I-130 and Form I-485 with the appropriate USCIS Service Center for processing. If the marriage has been for less than 2 years then the beneficiary would receive conditional permanent residency for two years. The beneficiary would then have to file for removal of the condition by filing Form I-751.

If the beneficiary spouse lives outside the United States, the U.S. citizen Petitioner would file Form I-130 in the United States and upon approval, the beneficiary spouse would consular process for an immigrant visa.

Family members of U.S. Citizens or LPR's can also obtain permanent residency in the United States if their relationship is defined in one of the six categories that are necessary for the beneficiary to obtain permanent residency in the United States. The petitioner would file Form I-130 on behalf of the beneficiary family member. The date of filing is the priority date. As soon as the priority date is current which depends on the family relationship, then the consular processing application will begin.

For further information on Spouse visas please contact The Harrington Law Firm for a consultation.