Fiance/Fiancee Visa

immigration lawyer fiance visa massachusettes

Massachusetts and Connecticut Immigration Lawyer

At The Harrington Law Firm, we help clients from Connecticut, Massachusetts and across the United States deal with family immigration cases involving petitioning for Fiance/Fiancee visa, or K-1 visa.

A K-1 visa is a dual intent visa issued to the fiancé(e) of a United States citizen which in needed to enter the United States. A K-1 visa requires a foreigner to marry his or her US citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry, or leave the U.S. After the date of marriage, the foreign citizen can adjust status to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States. Although a K-1 visa is legally classified as a non-immigrant visa, it usually leads to important immigration benefits and is therefore often processed by the Immigrant Visa section of United States Embassies and Consulates worldwide.

Both fiancées must be eligible to be lawfully married in the state of residence of the petitioner. For example, at the time the visa petition is filed, as well as at issuance, they must both be of legal age, and not already married to each other or to anyone else. Under the Defense of Marriage Act, same-sex partners are not eligible for K-1 visas, even those with petitioners from states that otherwise allow same sex partners to marry.

The great majority of K-1 visas applied for, are granted. As an example, in 2009, 95% of the K-1 visa applications were approved.

For further information on Fiance/Fiancee visas please contact The Harrington Law Firm for a consultation.